By James Taylor, Wick Hill Strategic Development Manager
I encourage you all to watch the Panorama report at the bottom of the page. It gives a nice insight into how Cyber-crime is so easily committed around this special time of year. As we approach Christmas, Social Engineering will only escalate as you anticipate gifts being delivered or go on-line shopping.
Therefore I trust the following tips are welcomed:
- Do buy from reputable Websites, cheapest is not always best;
- Credit Cards are a better payment consideration – you have improved consumer rights, but only purchase what you can afford
- Always keep your Credit/Debit Card in sight at all times (never let the waiter take it away to be processed)
- Do support your local High Street, personally, I think it’s safer and some store will price match.
- Review your Bank Statements regularly and recognise every transaction.
- Set an SMS Alert with your Bank for high value withdrawals
- Choose complex, and different passwords for key websites, your e-mail account in particular.
- Consider a Free Credit-check report. I met Noddle at NISC and they don’t charge to access the data they hold on you; make time to research if this service is appropriate to you.
- And finally, Think before you Click!
Stay safe out there!