By James Taylor, Wick Hill Strategic Development Manager
I encourage you all to watch the Panorama report that can be found in the link below or on BBC iPlayer. It gives a nice insight into how CyberCrime is so easily committed around this special time of year. As we approach Christmas, Social Engineering will only escalate as you anticipate gifts being delivered or go on-line shopping.
Therefore I trust the following tips are welcomed:
- Do buy from reputable Websites, cheapest is not always best;
- Credit Cards are a better payment consideration – you have improved consumer rights, but only purchase what you can afford
- Always keep your Credit/Debit Card in sight at all times (never let the waiter take it away to be processed)
- Do support your local High Street, personally, I think it’s safer and some store will price match.
- Review your Bank Statements regularly and recognise every transaction.
- Set an SMS Alert with your Bank for high value withdrawals
- Choose complex, and different passwords for key websites, your e-mail account in particular.
- Consider a Free Credit-check report. I met Noddle at NISC and they don’t charge to access the data they hold on you; make time to research if this service is appropriate to you.
- And finally, Think before you Click!
The Panorama report makes several references to exploiting vulnerabilities, Wick Hill as a Tenable Networks and Black Duck Distributor can directly help…
Stay safe out there!